Wednesday, April 27, 2016

An Abstract Overview of What I Actually Learned

Something I've been thinking about frequently as I wrapped up this project is on how the field of education is limited simply by the creativity of those who profess to be teachers. I've come to the find there is a balance between "tried and true" methods and exploring the mind of the beginner. For instance, scales. As a musician, I have mastered all major and minor scales. But did I need to do that? Did I need to spend 15 minutes of my precious hour of piano lessons each week, playing a repeating sequence of notes? I can list the benefits of scales ( they taught me to have even note intonation, finger mobility, discipline and more). But I could have learned those skills from a songs or other exercises. Did I need scales? Perhaps not. But scales are an engrained part of every musician's education. To get into any music program worth it's salt, you have to play all of the scales. Why has this exercise become such a staple in musical education? (This article works as a counter argument to my previous claims. Though it brings up a valid point, my question is still, "why couldn't I master the fundamentals doing something else?").
This brings me to another point. According to 12 Time MLB All Star Barry Larkin, "What people don't realize is that professionals are sensational because of the fundamentals." In these past 3 months, my biggest frustration in learning the violin has been just that. Learning the fundamentals of technique and musicality. Notes, pitch, rhythm, theory I all understand, but what no teacher can accurately explain, in my opinion, is music; the feeling and exact sound an instrument should produce. These abstract concepts are why we practice, and why experts are lauded, for capturing a uniquely beautiful sound. Some might argue that it's because of the fundamentals of music that this sound comes to be, and I'd partly agree. But there's more. A good musician know how to marry the two, technique and passion. So, Barry Larkin, I think you're wrong. The thing that makes professionals sensational is not just the fundamentals. It's passion. It's a love for music. It's something you can't teach anyone but that comes over time with practice.
That brings me to yet another point. I vastly overestimated the ability I had to learn an instrument. Which, interestingly enough, is why this whole project started. Because I thought teachers differed vastly from the mindset of their students. And I was correct. But I'm still salty I fell into my own trap, of sorts.
A lot of these concepts I've just discussed have been very abstract. Let's move now into the more concrete.
Here are some things I believe the music community as a whole could get a little better at:

    • Unlocking the mind of the beginner. I think there ought to be some way, some test for teachers to poll their students accurately. The problem here, I will readily admit, is that beginners have only a limited view, based on their understanding of what is wrong. Maybe their bow keeps slipping on the strings, so they think the problem is with their bow and ask for it to be re-strung. Perhaps that's the problem. Or it could be their arm position, their shoulder rest etc. But what is important here is not that the beginner will automatically understand their problem better than the teacher, but that they go on their own quest of self discovery into fixing the problem. 
    • Honestly, I think we need to let our students fail a little more. Learning is always more effective when it's internalized. So let them mess up, struggle a little, then guide them into finding the correct answer on their own. The best explanation I have for this is with the concept of fingering. Many of my piano students just won't use the fingering I provide them. They insist on doing things their own way, making more awkward finger crossings. This works, I suppose, in beginning songs. But I want to teach my students the principles behind fingering- not just to follow what I have told them. So I let them write it themselves and offer suggestions when needed. Explain, then let the students try to apply the concept themselves. Then keep explaining and keep offering chances to apply. Eventually, they will get it. 
There are many more things I believe could be changed, but I'll keep the list short and sweet. My main point is this: sometimes, we need to break with tradition, take a risk, make a change, and perhaps it will fail. But, perhaps we will learn something new and better understand how to efficiently learn. We're all learning how to learn here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment