Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A Long Overdue Post

Many great things have happened this week. Here's a list:
  • I decided to play a song on the violin at my personal, senior recital. (May 14th, you should all come). 
  • I began learning said song on the violin and though it sounds horrible currently, there is hope.
  • I utilized what I learned from Lorie's class in my own piano studio; ie incentivized practice times via candy bars and practice charts. 
    • Along those same lines, I also began implementing a technique I picked up from Lorie, which is not pushing or moving the fingers of the students, but playing the keys, and having them move their fingers to the correct position.   
  • Progress has been made in teaching at Let's Play Music. Lorie now asks me to teach 10 minutes of class, which is honestly a little scary, but really fun after you get into it. I have been more adept at channeling mysterious reserves of energy into the class that I didn't know I had. Also, I am managing to remember lesson plans, which is pretty challenging to do whilst moving in the flow of the lesson. 
  • Lorie also asks me to sit next to kids who struggle more than others to help them keep up and I was able to make one of the little girls like me and I helped her understand her theory homework and get caught up. Kids know a lot more than I think they do. 
  • I began writing the "basic musical introduction" part of my music book. 
  • I properly learned to set up keyboards at LPM (which has taken me forever, but now I've got it down. This is progress). 

Here's me, teaching the third year class during their discussion of dictation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment