Monday, March 14, 2016

The 5th Week.....

This week was very exciting for me. This was my first chance to teach part of the Let's Play Music class. I got to teach about 10 minutes of the first year class (the easiest of the 3 classes). It was very fun for me to get to teach the kids. Since I taught 2 times, I really feel like the second time was an immense improvement. Practice makes perfect as they say, and even though I know all the material, it's really important to work on specific techniques for teaching. A huge art of teaching is adaptation and asking the best questions. It's knowing your audience and what concepts they struggle with.  The end goal of this project is ultimately to write a beginning violin method book. So I think one of the most important aspects I should add, as I can't exactly play the role of the teacher, is to incorporateA questions to promote careful thought in the minds of those reading my methodology.  Also, I believe that it's possible to create an adaptive method, a choose your own adventure of sorts that would ensure students could move at their own pace, onto topics they believe they need the most emphasis on. It's difficult to make a book change to fit the needs of students learning solely from its methodology. Nothing will ever replace the benefit of a teacher, but self teaching is possible by careful investigation.  
Next week is spring break- but I will be continually practicing violin. and begin writing some of my exercises to include in the book I intend to write.


No comments:

Post a Comment