Monday, February 15, 2016

Introduction

The purpose of this research project is simple: what method works best to teach individuals how to learn an instrument. By simple, I mean there aren't too many layers here. But music education is far from simple. There are many schools of thought concerning the proper way for beginning music students to pick up an instrument. (And many that say you shouldn't even begin learning music on an instrument but through other techniques). The goal of this project is to design a new method for learning the violin based on observation of the program Let's Play Music and my own piano students. Observing different methods of teaching music under while in my internship, I will then put those techniques to practice in my own practice as I begin learning the violin. I will also record the responses of my own piano students to different techniques. The goal: to asses what methods of practice can be utilized when a student is having trouble in a particular area of study. 
But first, an introduction to my Internship. Let's Play Music is first a music theory course that utilizes piano playing, singing and classical music to teach young children notes and develop pitch and other ear training. Let's Play Music is the type of program I wish I was enrolled in as a child. It would have made my life 100 times easier as a serious musician. The fact that it teaches young children music concepts like chord inversion, cadences and more at 4-8 years old is honestly astounding. I am very excited to begin working with my mentor, Lorie Briggs and to see her classes. There are 3 different levels in LPM (Let's Play Music). I have the chance to observe all 3 years of the program. I am very excited to begin classes! In a about a month, I will be able to team teach with Mrs. Briggs. 
The philosophy behind Let's Play Music is that there is a "Musical Window" for children learning to play the piano (but I believe it applies to every instrument). 
Here is the explanation from the Let's Play Music curriculum. But, in my words, it is this. The older the student, the more educationally prepared they are. But the older they get, they also become more stubborn, set in their ways and their natural inclination for music becomes less pronounced unless capitalized upon when young. This is a really interesting concept that makes common sense, but I've never seen applied in such a manner. (I think the closest thing I really have heard about this "Music Window" is where parents make their babies listen to Mozart to make them smarter). 



No comments:

Post a Comment